Combing through Elden Ring is a journey with a ton of twists and turns. You’ll find so many items through your adventure that you may lose track of where some need to go. There are keys and tools all across the Lands Between that you’ll need to gather for some endings. The Ring of Oath, or the Dark Moon Ring, is needed for one of the endings of Elden Ring. It is one of the most important items of the game… However, it is also incredibly annoying to get! We’ll help guide you through all of the steps needed to find this key item so you can get your quest done right!
MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING! This guide goes over several plot elements in Elden Ring. Please read with discretion.
Where to Find the Ring of Oath (Dark Moon Ring)
The Dark Moon Ring, or Ring of Oath, is located in Rennala’s Chambers by the Raya Lucaria Grand Library Site of Grace. In order to open this chest, you’ll need to acquire the Discarded Palace Key. This key is part of Princess Ranni’s questline, and you must nearly complete the questline before getting access to the Ring of Oath.
So, if you haven’t gotten to this point in the game, we can help you catch up!
Ranni the Witch’s Questline
In order to begin Ranni’s questline, you must first beat Royal Knight Loretta, the final boss of Caria Manor. This will allow you to access the Northwestern side of Liurnia of the Lakes. After Caria Manor, head northwest until you reach a tower guarded by a dragon and two dogs. In that tower is Ranni, who will start your quest by telling you about Nokron. Talk to her servants and her to begin her quest.
- Talk to Blaidd by entering the Siofra River area, accessible through eastern Mistwood near the Minor Erdtree. The knight himself will be near a bridge on the eastern side of the valley. Talk to him.
- Go back to Precepter Selvius at Selvius’s Rise, which is south of Ranni’s Rise. Talk to him.
- Find Sorceress Sellen. She is in the Waypoint Ruins, on the east side of Limgrave, just west of Mistwood. Talk to her.
- To continue from here, you must defeat Radahn Starscourge. Radahn is a mid-to-late game boss located in the southeast of Caelid, in Redmane Castle. Defeating him will open an entrance to Nokron, the Eternal City in Mistwood. Nokron is also home to the Mimic Tear summon item.
- Head through Nokron and get the Fingerslayer Blade. Give it to Ranni at her Rise.
- Use the Carian Inverted Statue at the Carian Study Hall in eastern Liurnia of the Lakes. This will turn the hall into a dungeon. Clear the dungeon and obtain the Cursemark of Death on Ranni’s body.
- Head to Renna’s Rise, east of Ranni’s Rise. Head through the top to teleport to the Ainsel River Main. Once here, loot nearby items to obtain a Miniature Ranni. Talk to the doll multiple times to talk to Ranni.
- Clear Nokstella, the Eternal City and beat the Baleful Shadow. Once defeated, you will get the Discarded Palace Key.
Obtaining the Dark Moon Ring
The oath ring itself is found in a chest in Rennala’s chambers. Once you have the Discarded Palace Key, just pop that sucker open! The Dark Moon Ring is just a key item, and offers no statistical benefit. This is not a simple reward; instead, it’s part of the questline.
Head back to the Lake of Rot in the Ainsel River, specifically going to the Grand Cloister in the Southwest. Head into the coffin and defeat Astel, Naturalborn of the Void. This will bring you to the Moonlight Altar – fighting Glintstone Dragon Adula is optional, but gives you a new dragon incantation at the Cathedral of Dragon Communion in Caelid.
Finally, you may head to Ranni’s body. Use the item to free her to get the Dark Moon Greatsword and a new ending option.
Once the quest is complete, be sure to head back to Ranni’s Rise. There you can fight Blaidd to gain the Royal Greatsword and his armor set. The weapon art is strong. You can also find the Snow Witch Set in a chest at the upper floor of Renna’s Rise once the quest is completed. That set boosts Ice-elemental sorceries.