Marriage is a frequently overlooked aspect of Skyrim. Romance is alive in The Elder Scrolls 5, and you have quite a few people who you can tie the knot with. Once you complete the prerequisite quest, the world opens up to you. And, with the Hearthfire DLC, you can introduce a family into the world. But, you can’t just marry anyone you want. Who can you marry in Skyrim? Find the full list of bachelors and bachelorettes below.
Who Can You Marry in Skyrim?
Before you can marry anyone in Skyrim, you must get an Amulet of Mara. You can purchase an Amulet of Mara in Riften from Maramal, who sells them for 200 gold. They can also be found as a random drop, in the Lover’s Tent on the beach north of Dawnstar, or by completing “The Book of Love.” That quest begins with Dinya Balu in the Temple of Mara in Riften.
Once you have a marriage candidate in mind, you can propose by wearing the amulet and completing the prerequisite to marry someone. Then, you can speak to Maramal at the Temple of Mara to begin the wedding.
Dragonborn of any gender can marry any person: All marriageable NPCs are pansexual. Your options are listed below.
All Female Marriage Options in Skyrim
- Aela the Huntress, Jorrvaskr, Whiterun: You must complete “Glory of the Dead,” at the end of the questline.
- Aeri, Anga’s Mill, The Pale: Chop some firewood for her.
- Anwen, Temple of Dibella, Markarth: Complete “The Heart of Dibella” which begins in the Temple of Dibella.
- Avrusa Sarethi, Sarethi Farm, The Rift: Bring her 20 Jazbay Grapes.
- Borgakh the Steel Heart, Mor Khazgur, Haafingar: Pay for her dowry or make a Speech check to convince her.
- Brelyna Maryon, College of Winterhold, Winterhold: Complete “Brelyna’s Practice,” which starts from her.
- Camilla Valerius, Riverwood Trader, Riverwood: Complete “The Golden Claw,” which starts from Lucan Valerius in his shop in Riverwood.
- Dravynea the Stoneweaver, Kynesgrove, Eastmarch: Give her some Frost Salts.
- Ghorza gra-Bagol, Blacksmith Shed, Markarth: Give her The Last Scabbard of Akrash, a book from Gallows Rock, Fort Sungard, Black-Briar Lodge, or from Merchants.
- Gilfre, Mixwater Mill, Eastmarch: Chop some firewood.
- Hilund, Bujold’s Retreat/Thirsk Mead Hall: Complete Retaking Thirsk. Then, collect 50 Riekling Spears for her.
- Iona, Honeyside, Riften: Becoming Thane of The Rift.
- Jenassa, The Drunken Huntsman, Whiterun: Hire her.
- Jordis the Sword-Maiden, Proudspire Manor, Solitude: Becoming Thane of Solitude.
- Lydia, Whiterun: Become Thane in Whiterun after killing Mirmulnir during “Dragon Rising” and then purchase Breezehome.
- Mjoll the Lioness, Riften: Retrieve her sword Grimsever from the Dwemer ruins of Mzinchaleft.
- Morwen, Skaal Village: Delivering her mother’s amulet to Runil in Falkreath. Then, free the Skaal.
- Muiri, The Hag’s Cure, Markarth: Complete “Mourning Never Comes.” You must kill both of your targets.
- Njada Stonearm, Jorrvaskr, Whiterun: Complete “Glory of the Dead” at the end of the Companions story arc.
- Orla, Temple of Dibella, Markarth: Complete “The Heart of Dibella.”
- Rayya, Falkreath, Lakeview Manor: Become Thane of Falkreath and buy the Lakeview Manor Deed.
- Ria, Jorrvaskr, Whiterun: Complete “Glory of the Dead” at the end of the Companions story arc.
- Senna, Temple of Dibella, Markarth: Complete “The Heart of Dibella.”
- Shahvee, Argonian Assemblage, Windhelm: Recover her Amulet of Zenithar and return it to her. This amulet can be in Uttering Hills Cave, Gallows Rock, Stony Creek Cave, or the Lost Knife Hideout.
- Sylgja, Shor’s Stone, The Rift: Deliver her satchel to her father in Darkwater Crossing. Then, bring it to her.
- Taarie, Solitude: Complete “Fit for a Jarl.” You must have Investor and have put money into Radiant Rainment.
- Temba Wide-Arm, Ivarstead, The Rift: Give her 10 bear pelts.
- Uthgerd the Unbroken, The Bannered Mare, Whiterun: Win a brawl with her.
- Viola Giordano, Candlehearth Hall, Windhelm: Begin Revyn Sadri’s quest, but tell Viola about it.
- Ysolda, Open market, Whiterun: Give her a Mammoth Tusk.
All Male Marriage Options in Skyrim
- Ainethach, Karthwasten, The Reach: Get the thugs out of his mine.
- Angrenor Once-Honored, Candlehearth Hall, Windhelm: Give him a gold.
- Argis the Bulwark, Vlindrel Hall, Markarth: Become Thane of Markarth.
- Athis, Jorrvaskr Living Quarters, Whiterun: Complete “Glory of the Dead” at the end of the Companions story arc.
- Balimund, The Scorched Hammer, Riften: Give him 10 Fire Salts.
- Belrand, The Winking Skeever, Solitude: Hire him.
- Benor, Morthal: Beat him in a brawl.
- Calder, Hjerim, Windhelm: Become Thane of Eastmarch.
- Cosnach, Silver-Blood Inn, Markarth: Beat him in a brawl.
- Derkeethus, Darkwater Crossing, Eastmarch: Rescue him.
- Farkas, Jorrvaskr, Whiterun: Complete “Glory of the Dead” at the end of the Companions story arc.
- Filnjar, Shor’s Stone, The Rift: Complete “Mine or Yours.”
- Gat gro-Shargakh, Left Hand Mine/Kolskeggr Mine, The Reach: Complete Pavo Attius’s favor and liberate Kolskeggr Mine.
- Ghorbash the Iron Hand, Burguk’s Longhouse, Dushnikh Yal, The Reach: Pay his dowry or beat the Speech check to get him to leave.
- Gregor, The White Hall, Dawnstar: Become Thane of The Pale
- Marcurio, Bee and Barb, Riften: Hire him.
- Halbarn Iron-Fur, Bujold’s Retreat/Thirsk Mead Hall: Complete “Retaking Thirsk” and “Halbarn’s Supplies.”
- Moth gro-Bagol, Understone Keep, Markarth: Bring him a Daedra Heart.
- Octieve San, Solitude, frequently found in and around the Winking Skeever: Helpe the gamblers pay off his debts.
- Omluag, Markarth Smelter, Markarth: Talk to Mulush gro-Shugurz in Markarth about the smelter workers.
- Odfel, Shor’s Stone: No prerequisites.
- Onmund, The Hall of Attainment, College of Winterhold: Recover his Amulet from Enthir.
- Pavo Attius, Left Hand Mine/Kolskeggr Mine, The Reach: Completion of his favor to liberate Kolskeggr Mine.
- Perth, Soljund’s Sinkhole, The Reach: Clear Soljund’s Sinkhole of all Draugr enemies.
- Quintus Navale, The White Phial, Windhelm: Complete “Repairing the Phial,” which begins in his store.
- Revyn Sadri, Sadri’s Used Wares, Windhelm: Bring back stolen ring to Viola Giordano as part of his favor.
- Roggi Knot-Beard, Steamscorch Mine, Kynesgrove, Eastmarch: Recover his Family Shield by starting the favor from him and then going to a random location. The locations are Ansilvund, Crongvangr Cave, Cragwallow Slope, Lost Knife Hideout, Stony Creek Cave, or Uttering Hills Cave.
- Romlyn Dreth, Black-Briar Meadery, Riften: Deliver a Black-Briar Mead Keg to Wilhelm in Ivarstead.
- Scouts-Many-Marshes, Argonian Assemblage, Windhelm: Talk to Torbjorn Shatter-Shield about the Argonian dock workers.
- Sondas Drenim, Goldenrock Mine, Darkwater Crossing, Eastmarch: Deliver his note to Quintus Navale.
- Sorex Vinius, Winking Skeever, Solitude: Deliver kegs of Stros M’Kai Rum to Falk Firebeard at the Blue Palace.
- Stenvar, Candlehearth Hall, Windhelm: Hire him.
- Torvar, Jorrvaskr, Whiterun: Complete “Glory of the Dead” at the end of the Companions story arc.
- Vilkas, Jorrvaskr, Whiterun: Complete “Glory of the Dead” at the end of the Companions story arc.
- Vorstag, Silver-Blood Inn, Markarth: Hire him.
- Wilhelm, Vilemyr Inn, Ivarstead, The Rift: Complete an investigation of Shroud Hearth Barrow and chat with him.
Looking for more Skyrim? We have you covered.
- How to Get Madness Ore in Skyrim
- Where to Find Quarried Stone in Skyrim
- How to Use the Restoration Loop in Skyrim
Jason Toro-McCue has committed his schooling to the study of the connection between game design and narrative. When he's not working on this bond through writing articles or guides, he's playing Dungeons & Dragons, or just playing games themselves and looking at the story there.