As you make their way through Super Mario 64 in the recently released 3D All Stars game, you’ll probably wonder how to get the famous Metal Cap that turns our hero into Metal Mario. While it does prevent him from making long jumps and swimming, the metallic cap will give him 20 seconds of power that make him invincible towards enemies, toxic clouds, and allows him to walk underwater. So, how do you get the Metal Cap in Super Mario 64? Let’s take a look.
Where to Find the Metal Cap in Super Mario 64
Luckily, getting the Metal Cap isn’t going to be too difficult, but it will require you to follow a handful of steps. To start, you’re going to need to have at least eight Stars. Once you have those, you’ll be able to follow the steps below to get the Metal Cap.
- In the castle, walk up the steps and go through the door to your left with the Star on it (see image above.)
- Walk towards the Princess Peach painting until you fall through the floor.
- Fight through the world until you get the key from Bowser.
- Return to the Castle and head through the door underneath the steps.
- Go down the staircase and use the key to unlock the door.
- Walk down the curved pathway until you reach a door and go through it.
- Run down the right hallway and walk through the middle body of water towards the door with a Star on it.
- Once inside, jump into the black vortex, leading to Hazy Maze Cave.
- Within the level, go left, long jump over the gap, and go through the door.
- Long jump your way across the platforms and work your way up the path, avoiding the boulders.
- Go through the door and use the lowering platform to get to the lake.
- Swim to the platform on your left and wait for the dragon to make its way around the water towards Mario.
- When it’s close, jump on its back and then Ground Pound. Quickly run to the top of the dragon’s head, which will allow you to steer it towards the grassy platform with the double doors.
- Go through the doors, down the pathway, and jump into the black vortex.
- Make your way through the world and at the end, flip the green switch to unlock the Metal Cap in Super Mario 64.
With the switch flipped, now players will be able to get a Metal Hat anytime they see a green block in a level. As we mentioned above, this will allow Mario to walk underwater, become invincible to enemies, and avoid toxic clouds for a total of 20 seconds.
Now that you know where to find the Metal Cap, be sure to get the Wing Cap too!
Andrew Smith is the founder of Guide Fall and From Gamers Magazine. He is a lover of all things gaming and physical media. You can find him playing anything from random indies to AAA releases!